21st – 25th October 2013
Hand in hand for a wonderful land
In October 2013, eight countries came together in Bialystok, Poland and took part in the first Comenius meeting for an environmental project called Hand in hand for a wonderful land.
We achieved the following actions:
Day 1 – Tuesday 22nd October 2013
- All participants conducted a logo competition in their schools. Final entries from each were judged by the participating teachers.
The winning logo was Ewelina Polkowska aged 14 from Publiczne Gimnazjum nr 9, Poland.
- The participating countries presented their countries, regions, educational systems, and schools.
- A tour of the school was conducted by the Polish teachers, all participants observed the facilities available to the students and experienced an atypical History lesson.
- Students made traditional Polish cakes for the participants to taste during their meeting.
- Students served the participants a traditional Polish meal and participants learnt some simple Polish vocabulary. For example, Dziękuję, Proszę, Przepraszam.
- A schedule for the mobilities were agreed as follows;
England 20th-24th January 2014
Slovenia 17th-21st March 2014
Spain 26th – 30th May 2014
Hungary 15th-19th September 2014
Italy 17th – 21st November 2014
Germany 16th -20th March 2015
Turkey 11th-15th May 2015 Final Meeting
All participants agreed due to the late application of Bulgaria to the project, a mobility would not be possible considering the financial restrictions of the project.
- Participants experienced a tour of the local area. A tour guide explained the history of Bialystok.
- The Polish hosts including the Headmaster and Vice Headmistress invited all participants to a traditional evening meal.
Day 2 – Wednesday 23rd October 2013
- Polish hosts welcomed all participants once again to their school.
- Participants were welcomed by the students with a traditional greeting of bread and salt, they had also prepared flags for each of the participating countries.
Students (aged 13-16) and participants worked together communicating only in English, on a hat project to reflect the environmental and national aims of the project.
- Students and participants displayed their projects.
- A fashion show of the hats was performed by students and participants. The Polish press were invited to attend.
- Ralf Bernegg, our German partner gave an introduction to our project website.
- Participants visited Supraśl, a health resort with an orthodox monastery and icon museum.
Day 3 – Thursday 24th October 2013
- Participants visited the Open Air Village Museum near Bialystok to find out about the history of Polish farming.
- Polish hosts welcome participants once again to their school.
- Participants discuss final arrangements and agree minutes of meetings. Report agreed unanimously by all.
- Official closing of initial meeting in Poland including some modern, traditional and international music and dance performed by the Polish students and teachers.
- Comenius cake is offered.